Friday, June 6, 2008

Back to the 'burbs

Where do I begin to explain my experience during the last 4 days? It's cliche I know but no amount of words can begin to explain the welcoming feeling i have felt throughout this week. I honestly didn't know nor expect to find the connection i have found with the poeple we stayed with in Gugulethu. I don't hug people often - in fact, I'm pretty bad at it...It's kind of a Weiske boy thing - but everytime I enter a room and leave a room I'm hugged by everyone there. This overwhelming sense of welcome - ubunto - I have experienced has smashed all of my worries I THOUGHT I had coming into this week. I'm a pretty emotional person - the legacy I received from my father - and I found myself forcing back watery eyes multiple times this week. To think that I've known these people for less than one week and be moved like I've known them for a lifetime is a testament to the people of South Africa - I know I'm always welcome here.

The next couple entries are thoughts I had after each day during my stay in the township:

No comments: